اَلْجَنَّةُ تَحْتَ أَقْداَمِ الْأُمُّهاَتِ
Paradise lies under the feet of your mother
– Prophet Mohammad (SAW)
Probably every child and mother have heard this amazing Hadith. While it signifies a great stress on children to get blessing by taking care of their mothers, it also puts some level of responsibility and accountability on mothers to ensure that they raise children worthy of such blessings. Not only do mothers bear the burden of childbirth, but the efforts & hard work of ensuring the child gets a proper upbringing, tarbiyyat and discharges both Haqooqullah and Haqooqal Ibadhas effects on generations to come.
Hazrat Khalifatul Masih has asked members of our Jama’at to continuously do self-assessment (محاسبہ). For this, please download our Parents’ Monthly Self-Assessment form which serves as a good starting point. Download Self-Assessment Form
Why It's Important
Holy Quran Says:
“O ye who believe! save yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is men and stones, over which are appointed angels, stern and severe, who disobey not Allah in what He commands them and do as they are commanded.” – The Holy Quran [66:7]
Holy Prophet (saw) said:
It was narrated that Hazrat Aisha (ra), said:
“Some Bedouin people came to the Prophet(ﷺ) and said: ‘Do you kiss your children?’ He said: ‘Yes’. He said: ‘But we, by Allah, never kiss (our children)’. The Prophet(ﷺ) said: ‘What can I do if Allah has taken away mercy from you?'”
The Promised Messiah (as) said:
“An individual with self-respect and self-control, who is also forbearing and dignified, has the right to correct a child to a certain extend or guide the child. But a wrathful and hot-headed person who is easily provoked is not fit to be a guardian of children.” (Malfuzat, vol 2, p.4)
Resources for you:
- Atfal News and Announcements
- Events at Regional and National Level
- Taleem Syllabus
- Get Syllabus Book
- Atfal Exam Dates (Nov 18th & March 24th)
- 9 Habits
- Contact Mohtamim Sahib Atfal
- Weekly Friday Sermons by Huzur (aba)
- Ways of the Seekers by Hazrat Khalifatul Masih II (ra) – Download
- Raising Children in the West – Speech
- Women’s Role in Raising Children by Lajna USA – Read Presentation
- Raising Children in a Contemporary Society: Article
- Daughters of Eve – Download Book
- Various Tarbiyyat Topics – Spiritualfitness.us
- Lajna USA website
- Salat Times & Ahmadiyya.US
- Showing love to your Child – Article
- Mother’s love changing a child’s brain – Artcile
What can you do
- Know and understand the tremendous responsibility you have: you are not raising your son only, but you are raising the future of this Jama’at. Jama’at is reflective of its members and so important for mothers to remember.
- Sign up for Tifl Post & Visit this website frequently
- Pray for your children: nothing can beat that.
- Write to Huzur (aba) requesting special prayers for your children by name.
- Go through our 9 habits and see:
- What is asked of your son(s)
- What is asked of you as a parent (check under Parents section of each habit)
- Ask for Help: Alhamdolillah, Lajna Ima’illah USA, Jama’at Tarbiyyat Department, Khuddamul Ahmadiyya & both National Atfal and Nasirat teams are here to serve you. Ask us how to handle Halloween, Purdah issues, Birthday parties, Drugs etc… Our society is full of ills and there is no parent who knows it all.
- Build a strong relationship with Khilafat and be a role model.
- Be fair in your treatment of children. Sons & daughters should be treated equally.
- Start at an early age to talk to your Tifl son (not daughters only) about benefits of marrying within Jama’at. Remember: Ahmadi + Ahmadi = Ahmadiyyat
- Send your son(s) to all Jama’at and Atfal events: Reach out to ask if you have concerns.
- Give feedback: tell us if something is not working out in your Majlis, lack of classes, structure etc…
- Have a quality family time. At minimum, set a weekend or a day every few weeks to go out and have a family time.
- Read to your children, talk to them…. have a dinner on a dining table if you have one rather than on while watching TV. Ask them about their day, tell them about yours.
- Be a Mother! Nothing we are saying trumps what your instincts are. You are raising a Tifl who may be writing these tips in the future, serving as Sadr MKA, serving as Jamaat President & much more….. May Allah be with you for what you do for the young ones.
- Read the biography of the perfect role model of all – Prophet Muhammad (saw)