Holy Prophet (saw) said, “The right of an elder brother over the younger ones is like the right of the father over his children.” – that definitely does not mean that you boss around and give your younger brother a hard time. This means, you give him love, confidence, comfort, guidance, protection and whatever he need. Both you and your brother, have a unique relationship that no one is supposed to interfere with, nor attempt to manipulate. He is family, a priority, a responsibility.
You don’t have to be a biological brother of a Tifl to follow these guidelines. Every Khadim is an older brother to every Tifl in the country. Your love, compassion and treatment of them should be of the highest standard.
Here you will find a humble effort of providing you some resources. Feel free to share some tips so other fathers can learn from them.
Why It's Important
Holy Prophet (saw) said:
Narrated Ibn ‘Umar: Allah’s Messenger said,
“A Muslim is a brother of Muslim, he neither wrongs him nor does hand him over to one who does him wrong. If anyone fulfills his brother’s needs, Allah will fulfill his needs; if one relieves a Muslim of his troubles, Allah will relieve his troubles on the Day of Resurrection.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
Resources for you:
- Atfal News and Announcements
- Events at Regional and National Level
- Taleem Syllabus
- Get Syllabus Book
- Atfal Exam Dates (Nov 18th & March 24th)
- 9 Habits
- Contact Mohtamim Sahib Atfal
- Weekly Friday Sermons by Huzur (aba)
- Various Tarbiyyat Topics – Spiritualfitness.us
- Ansarullah USA website
- MKA USA website
- Salat Times & Ahmadiyya.US
- How to have a better relationship with your brother – Article
What can you do
- Been there, done that! – Okay, so what did you learn…. As an older brother, you make sure that your younger brother (s) don’t make the same mistake.
- Be a friend first -talk, protect and comfort your brother & spend time together
- It’s okay… if you have to lower your standard of basketball or miss few shots so your brother gets some confidence. It’s okay to watch an episode of a TV show you have seen “gazillion” times. 🙂
- Keep your word & be truthful
- Give, not take: Older brothers don’t take, they give…. when you arrive at a basketball court and see bunch of Atfal playing ball, give them respect. Ask if you could join in or wait for them to finish. We know when you were a Tifl, you were not treated this way but as an Ahmadi Khadim, you are supposed to be different – better in fact.
- Be an “involved brother“, not an idle, because:
- you give them comfort
- you give them confidence
- you play with them differently
- you communicate with them differently
- you prepare them for real world differently
- Read the biography of the perfect role model of all – Prophet Muhammad (saw)